The City of Newport received the six-ton granite fountain as a gift in 1911 and installed it as a watering trough in Washington Square where it remained until the 1950s. A private collector purchased the decommissioned fountain from the City in the 1950s, rescued it from a quarry, and relocated it to Belcourt Castle. The fountain was displayed in the courtyard at Belcourt Castle for more than four decades until it was purchased in 2010 by a restoration expert.
The bowl measures six feet across.
The base is 42” x 42”